At Issue / Past Issues

AT ISSUE by T. Remington
           It’s good. This Friday, it’s a good one. I’ve sold three magazine subscriptions and it’s not even noon. I like this town. I didn’t like it last night when we pulled in, but today I see it’s a pretty good town. Ok, no it’s not a big city or anything, but I haven’t had one door slammed in my face yet today. Not one dog has been sicced on me. The ladies who don’t want to get our magazines, they apologize prettily. One even offered me lemonade. It tasted terrible, but that’s ok.
       How does a nice middle class boy from Defiance, Ohio wind up with this crazy traveling gang of losers and misfits, pushing lousy magazine subscriptions? It’s all Reverend Bailey’s fault. He might try to deny it, but he’s the one who had to go and tell my folks about me and Bobby. Someday I’m going to live in a city where no one gives a crap about what I do or who I do it with. Until then, I’m keeping my eyes open.
       But hooking up with Mr. Skice and his crew got me out of my hometown and that’ll do for now. No one on the crew talks to me much, but that’s fine by me. I’m not like them. I don’t curse and don’t go out for beers at the end of the day. I’m careful. I’m….good. Not always. Early in the week I’m useless, but by Wednesday something shifts and by Fridays, I am very good. Mr. Skice will tell you how good I am.
       Sleet is shredding the apple blossoms when the crew’s bus pulls out. Spring never lives up to its reputation in these Great Lakes towns. What does? It’s Thursday. I smile and wave goodbye even though none of them is looking.
      Closing the big front door pricks open both security and panic. She’s not an early riser and she can’t make a decent glass of lemonade to save her life, but for now, this is good. Or it will be tomorrow anyway.

PAST ISSUES by aleXander hirka
 
                                                          click on image to enlarge
 

Comments

  1. shivers
    quivers
    long ago memories
    of slimy salesmen
    capturing innocence
    taking their money
    and
    running

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts.

Popular Posts